MAIN Battery replacement.

Post pictures of your Hyundai Kona here
Peter S

Post by Peter S »

Hi Kona Electric Owners - has anyone had their high voltage batteries replaced yet ? I was notified a couple of months ago that to reduce the possibility of battery fire during charging I must reduce charge max. pending repl;acement but not a word since then.

Jeff26

Post by Jeff26 »

I have asked the same question. Spoke to Hyundai customer service a month ago. Was told I would be contacted when it was my turn. They also said batteries are coming in all the time. When pushed they said Carol had more information and would contact me. Hear nothing. Dealership has not heard of a car having battery replaced. Has anyone had their battery replaced?
Peter S

Post by Peter S »

Had my batteries replaced over christmas period. A very well organised speedy seam free operation bay Hyundai.
apmhockey@aol.com

Post by apmhockey@aol.com »

Hi
I have had my battery replaced. Unfortunately, the new battery does not have the same range as the old battery. My old battery (2018) would charge to 320 miles and would reach 280 actual. The new battery will only charge to 230 and 190 actual. I can only assume the batteries were manufactured by a different company. Has any one else had this issue. Hyundai have no answers.
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Have you checked that you are charging to 100% and not to the pre-exchange lower level?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
apmhockey@aol.com

Post by apmhockey@aol.com »

Yes of course. I believe they have adjusted the management system. Very dissatisfied.
TimP

Post by TimP »

I have had my Kona Premium SE EV for 4 years now and its been a great car. However, I'm getting very frustrated by the lack of progress by Hyundai on replacing the main battery pack, as required by the Important Vehicle Safety Recall R/2021/087 issued by them and the DVLA on 23 April 2021. The global recall affected 82,000 vehicles following 15 cases of fires in South Korea, but only about 1500 vehicles imported to the UK are likely involved. Anybody who bought one after October 2020 should be OK. As previous posts here have indicated, Hyundai's approach has been to prioritise other markets like the USA, probably because they are more litigious following scandals like with the Ford Pinto, which some older members may recall, or indeed the more recent exhaust rigging on many German cars. I don't know if Hyundai and LG, the battery manufacturer, have yet resolved the liability for the fault.

Like Jeff26 (January 2022) I have been repeatedly told by Hyundai customer service 'to wait my turn' and that the problem will be dealt with in the 'fullness of time'. I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt during COVID and the subsequent logistical issues, but really my patience is wearing thin now. My longer journeys have been impacted by the 90% charging limit for more than 2 years; their 10% voucher scheme for compensation has proved unworkable; and now I begin to think about replacing the car, the impact on its valuation (and legality?) of having an unresolved 'Important Safety Recall' after all this time is probably going to be significant. Neither does the experience of apmhockey (May 2022) give much room for hope. Main battery replaced but not giving anything like the charge spec/range of the previous set, about 50% reduced!!

I'd be grateful to hear the experiences of the '1500', to see if there is any pattern in how Hyundai are doing the replacement. If you are 'lucky' enough to have had the work done, are you happy with subsequent performance? For me, my patience and the 'fullness of time' have run out. Past experience shows that it may require the threat of legal action to spur the manufacturer into action, although you'd have thought the prospect of cars randomly igniting might give them some sense of concern about reputational damage!
TimP

Post by TimP »

Sorry, I miscalculated! That power reduction upon battery replacement is ONLY 30%, not 50% as stated in my previous post.
Astruth

Post by Astruth »

Just had my main battery replaced on my Kona 64kw and now it only charges to 250 miles range, previous battery failed and was replaced by Hyundai, not really happy about it so will contact them again to complain

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post