Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

Hi moonwalker. My Kona 1.0ltr is now !yr old and due its !st service next month and covered only 3500mls. I carried out an oil / filter change myself at 6mths using genuine parts.
Not having the grinding noises that you and Bert experienced I do get very intermittently the rattle from the timing chain on start up after you've done a few miles and go back to it approx half an hour.
So it seems the norm and looks like we shall have to put up with it as long as its not doing any internal damage.
Its a shame as I'm very pleased with the car and is far superior to Vauxhalls which I have worked with all my working life in a Vauxhall Service Dept Franchise.
Keep in touch folks

the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker »

Well, my timing chain and tensioner are replaced. The rattle on startup is still there, but the grinding sound disappeared. Let's hope it stays like this. :-)
Greetings to all you Hyundai and KIA drivers.
nicosimao

Post by nicosimao »

Hello everybody,i think i was unlucky because didnt saw this post before buying my new Kona, right now having the same issue, when i start up the car and even when im driving it. Going to the dealer, hope for the best. Im already disapointed with Hyundai something like this happening to a brand new vehicle.
Smudge1837

Post by Smudge1837 »

Hi, yes my kona suffers from the same thing. I also have a motor trade background and I to have bn fobbed off at my local hyundai dealer. In fact I've just spoken to them about it.
They inform me that yhe kona is normally noisy on start up, so all is OK. Maybe take a video of it at start up.
It also has a few other issues, all rear reverse sensors faulty, but I need to repair the scratch on the bumper b4 they will do anything.
Also the radio keeps cutting out, but no fault found. Also take a video of it.
nicosimao

Post by nicosimao »

Smudge1837 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:45 pm Hi, yes my kona suffers from the same thing. I also have a motor trade background and I to have bn fobbed off at my local hyundai dealer. In fact I've just spoken to them about it.
They inform me that yhe kona is normally noisy on start up, so all is OK. Maybe take a video of it at start up.
It also has a few other issues, all rear reverse sensors faulty, but I need to repair the scratch on the bumper b4 they will do anything.
Also the radio keeps cutting out, but no fault found. Also take a video of it.
Thanks for the advice, already made a couple of videos too show them. Since i found this topic been a litle worried if is something bad.
lets see.
Smudge1837

Post by Smudge1837 »

After my trip to the main dealer yesterday where they found no fault at all for any of the problems brought to their attention. Today I've started up the kona to find the rattle has gone, the reverse sensors are working with no warning on dash saying check system and the radio is working fine. How strange is that. These problems were there every time I used the car. Spooky but the dealership did charge me £60 for the privilege, thanks hyundai
the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker »

The rattle on startup is a normal thing on these 1.0 tgdi engines. But the grinding sound while driving is not. You should pay attention to this sound, because it could be the timing chain or the timing chain tensioner that need to be replaced. This was the case on my KIA with a 1.0 tgdi petrol.
Elbmurcs

Post by Elbmurcs »

I’m buying a Kia with the same engine, and I got really scared after reading this.

But are other European alternatives any better?
the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker »

Well, my KIA is just fine with this engine. The sound is there, but everything is working fine. An it looks like all engines 1.0 tgdi petrol from KIA/Hyundai have this sound. But I have never read something about engine breaks.
I dont think that there are better alternatives when it comes to 1.0 three cylinder engines.
Skyrck123

Post by Skyrck123 »

Hi I live in Portugal and own a Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI, I have left my car today at the dealer with this same noise.
They told me it was the timing chain and It needed replacement (25k km and its done it since 15k)
So I highly suggest anyone suffering from the Grinding noise while driving to go to several dealerships since 4 of them told me it was Just the normal engine noise. This Last one though still let me drive the car home but ordered the tensioner, the timing chain and a heat shield above the turbo that was also rattling under acceleration and as soon as it arrived they called me to go leave the car with them, Shame that the Kia assistance in Portugal sucks though.