Engine loss of power

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
Secretsusie

Post by Secretsusie »

Does anyone have any ideas, or has has a similar problem please.
Kona 1.0 premium nav, one year old, has now 4 times has suffered loss of power. Initially it triggered fault codes suggesting a turbo issue, but the last time no fault code generated. You can be driving along, go to accelerate and theres nothing there, has gone into a limp mode, so gets us home, but revs are restricted.
I feel its dangerous as does it without warning, normally as accelerating away, eg a roundabout or a junction. Oncce it happens it stays with no power, so very slow to drive. Then after being parked for a while if we restart it then it drives ok again.
Has been back to hyundia garage three times so far, had some software fix that hyundia technical advised them to do, but without an error code they seem unable to repair. The first time it was at garage, it did loose power as they tested it so they have seen the fault, but they can't make it do it again, so give us it back saying its fixed, and its not.

Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

That is very frustrating I am sure. I recall reading somewhere that modern cars have an emergency mode in the engines electronics that allow the car to be driven at reduced power when an internal fault is detected. From what I remember the writer said that if the engine is turned off the problem is reset and the car will behave normally. I know this is no help to you, but I want to share your anguish.
I hope they can find the cause ASAP.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
Secretsusie

Post by Secretsusie »

Thankyou. I decided to go to Hyundai UK as recommended on a different thread and they are now looking into this up for me.
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

I hope you get it sorted out and you can enjoy the car.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
Kordell5647

Post by Kordell5647 »

I have also experienced this loss of power, not ideal when passing and there is suddenly nothing there! Almost got killed as I couldnt accelerate and the cars i was passing didn't want to let me back in. Once I was able to pull back in and release the throttle the car began to act pretty much normal, however, there is no a slight sputter when idling.

I love the car, it is a 2018 Kona Ultimate, is this a common problem? if it is, it is a serious problem. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it fixed
Liam2000

Post by Liam2000 »

Any update on this issue?

I have a Hyundai Kona (Kauai here in Portugal) since 2018 and now it started to have this problem too.
Already happened 4 times, the worst one yesterday in a highway, driving at 120km/h it dropped to about 65 which in a highway is too dangerous and was scary as hell.

The problem seems to fix after shut off the engine for a couple of minutes.

I’ve taken the car to a Hyundai garage after the firt time it happened and they said it was all in my head, “the car is fine” they said.

I don’t know if the problem is related to the Air Conditioner or not since it was turned on the 4 times that it happened, but maybe it was just a coincidence.