Engine noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
laurg

Post by laurg »

For the beggining sorry for my english,
my 1.0 tgdi kona, with 20k km, is having a noise since 6 k, ( I know exactly when it appear) a noise that I think that it is from the bearings related to the drive belt, like a friction noise, on top of the normal engine noise, more on cold engine, and dilute just a little when the engine is warm.
The shop, change the drive belt tensioner because of its axial play and noise, but the original sound is still there.
The sound is hearing the most in the cabin, at low rpm just a little, and when I accelerate the noise is getting higher, remaining almost the same from 1750 rpm till, lets say, 4000 rpm, so it is not related very much, in my opinion with the engine revs.
I check all the sound made by the bearings, with an improvized tool (a screwdriver with a plastic bottle on its cap) instead of a stetoscope, thanks to Youtube tutorials :) , but all seems ok, no unusual sound.
The guys from the shop insist in saying that nothing is wrong with the car, and the sound is a normal sound, they show me two car one with 50k that sound worst then mine, but surprise, the other one with 5 k without any noise.
The found a name for it, technological sound, but I told them that if a want a car with technological sound, I would have bought a second hand car not a new one, mostly because the sound was not there when the car was new.
Any ideea of what could be wrong?

Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Hi Laurg, sorry to hear of your problems with your Kona. It is very difficult to diagnose a noise especially without hearing it first hand. One time my father asked me to listen to his car. he thought that the gearbox was making a rattling sound and needed to be replaced. We went for a test drive and I recognised the noise straight away. It was a loose nut on the top of the air filter box letting the lid rattle. I know this will not be of help to you and I can only suggest you continue to ask the garage to look into the problem. Good luck.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
laurg

Post by laurg »

Thanks for the answer, the guys from the garrage are almost having a hearth attack when they see me, they advice me to wait until something worst than this is happend in order to pinpoint the issue.
They said, if some TSB appear related to this problem, I will be the first one to be called :lol:
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

I read your first post and your description reminded me of numerous posts on a previous forum relating to LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition) could that be the cause? Have a read up on the subject to see if it fits your criteria. I haven't heard that the 1.0 T-GDi engine is susceptible to this
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.
laurg

Post by laurg »

I have searched on this forum and I didnt find any reference about LSPI. Where I can found the topic?
Thanks
I was thinking also if the noise is coming from the injectors or the fuel pressure control valve (here is the highest noise on top of the engine), where is the foam on top, when at higher rpm the noise is changing its frequencies and became like a friction noise. We have cheked the noise with the belt off, but only static, not driving the car, and the noise seems to be the same, but I cannot guarantee.
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

I wasn't sure it was a Hyundai issue, it certainly is on VAG group 1 litre cars and Opel 1.4 Turbos. Have a look there
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.