Another Cruise Control Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

My car is a Hybrid Premium SE and I paid extra for adaptive cruise on a 2019 model
Just recently the set speed on the cruise control, which has been set for motorway speeds suddenly 'adjusts' itself to 47 mph. Obviously on a motorway this means the car brakes itself as it suddenly finds itself doing 20+mph over the set speed. If left it will just as suddenly go back to the original set speed. More worrying, however, is when it sets itself to 100mph! It has happened twice.
I have taken the car in and not unsurprisingly the dealer cannot find a fault, this is despite me showing them the fault via video. They now want me to go out on a test drive with a technician to attempt to replicate the fault. I'm not sure what this would achieve...
We have started to record when and where the fault occurs, on a three hour trip to Nottingham yesterday it happened between J23 and J25 on the M1, driving time about two and a half hours. On the way home it happened between J25 and J23 on the M1, driving time half an hour. Thinking back to previous times the car has exhibited the fault, we can only place it on the M1.
My questions to you all are
Has his happened to any of you?
And, has your dealer managed to fix it?
Does anyone know of anything (around Nottingham) that may affect the electronics of a car?
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.

DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

Hi,
is it possible that your car is adjusting to an incorrect speed limit? We have noticed that our car has identified strange speed limits (non existent!) on a number of local roads. For example, we have one stretch of road where the limit is 40mph for a three or four mile stretch. Part way along this road the car suddenly alerts us that the limit is 30mph for a short stretch. It then reverts to 40mph. We know the road, so it isn't a big deal, but, as a result of this error, I don't trust the limits shown. Is it possible your car is being set to the 70mph national limit (whilst on the motorway) and then picking up some random error and adjusting the speed accordingly. I have no idea how the car picks up the speed limits. Maybe this is worth investigating. We have some long distance journeys coming up, so will keep an eye on what we experience. Please keep us up to date of any progress or otherwise.
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

Thanks for the input, I am not aware that my adaptive cruise control should adjust its speed according to sign posts (or sat nav data). Anyone know different?
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.
davidpugh

Post by davidpugh »

I have a problem which has been referred to Hyundai for resolution. I believe that the speed limit function obtains the speed limit in 2 ways, from sign recognition and from the nav system via GPS. I don't think the car does anything with the sign recognition, only displays it. But I think the Nav system speed limit drives a number of "active" systems in the car. My particular problem is with the overspeed warning in the HUD and also only getting the speed limit from sign recognition. It maybe that I would also have the adaptive cruise control as well since I'm guessing that the reference speed is from GPS location.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post