12v Power Socket

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
FarnboroughAndy

Post by FarnboroughAndy »

I have just taken delivery of a 2022 Kona Hybrid & have a question about the 12v power socket. According to the Manual it says to only use when Car is running & to unplug when Car is switched off. The socket doesn't appear to be powered when ignition is off. Can someone clarify this for me. I'm asking as want to fit a Dash Cam(powered from socket) & don't want it to discharge the battery. Thanks.

KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello and welcome FarnboroughAndy :) , can I direct you to the same subject about the 12v socket and the implications of leaving your dash cam plugged in.viewtopic.php?f=16&t=288. I have had a KonaEV since Oct '20 and I love it. But...my 12v battery went flat :oops: The reason that the manual tells you to unplug any accessories is because a device called the Body Control Module, BCM for short controls all things electric in your car, it 'sees' something plugged in and it stays 'live' even though the dash cam has powered down :o with the unfortunate consequences. I'm sure it will be the same for a hybrid as an EV so you just have to get in to the habit of unplugging the dash cam. I considered using the direct wiring kit that came with my dash cam and asked my Hyundai dealer if they would do the needful, they refused saying that any accessory wiring would invalidate the warranty :( so don't be tempted :?

I hope this helps.

Regards KoolKonaEV

image.png

image.gif

Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
FarnboroughAndy

Thanks KoolKonaEV for the reply. I have emailed Nextbase about to hardwire or not to hardwire a dash cam & awaiting their reply. My eldest Son works for a Company that fits & monitors vehicle trackers & they are a authorised installer for Nextbase. He rang me early to say one of their Technicians has just hardwired a Tracker & Dash cam to a Kona Hybrid. My Son will let me know if any Battery issues arise. I might try our Hyundai Dealership & see what response I get from them.
QPRfan

Post by QPRfan »

For the past 5 years I have always had a dash cam in my car connected to the 12 volt socket in the front of the car. The dash cam has been pemanently plugged in this way. Even when leaving my cars for week on end at airport car parks I have left the dash cam plugged in. I have never had any issues with the dash cam draining the battery.

I had hoped than when my new Kona arrives (next month) that I would have the dash cam hard wired into the fuse box.

But from reading this thread it appears that any dash cam that has been hard wired or even left plugged into the 12 volt socket when the car is not running, will lead to the 12 volt battery running down and the subsequent problems that then causes.

Am I understanding this correctly? If I am then how have people got around this problem with their own dash cam installations?

Thanks
Get £50 credit if you switch to Octopus Go https://share.octopus.energy/steel-burn-45

Download the INSTAVOLT APP on IOS or Android and use my code to get a £5 credit Fha7E
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

We have had our dash-cam hard wired to the rear wiper fuse using a piggy-back fuse line for a few years now. We have never had a problem even when the car has not been used for a couple of weeks.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
FarnboroughAndy

Question I sent to Nextbase

"I had my 512GW(with rear Camera) hardwired into my 2019 Astra. I have changed to a Hyundai Kona Hybrid. I understand these do not have a standard LeadAcid/AGM Battery, but a Lithium Polymer one. I have read on certain forums that it is not advisable to have a Dash cam hard wired to these as it can discharge the battery if using Parking Mode. Please could you give me some advice.

This is the response I have just received.

"Thanks for getting in touch about your 512GW. As far as we're concerned there is no issue with installing any of our devices into hybrid vehicles.
However, you'd be best advised to check with the vehicle manufacturer that installation won't impact your warranty."
FarnboroughAndy

I have now had the Dash Cam fitted & supplied from the 12v Socket. I have not unplugged it & the Car starts fine, even if left for a few Days. There is a Blue indictor light on the 12v plug/lead supplied by Nextbase & that is only lit when the ignition is on.
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

I am glad you are happy with your solution. I think all cars should have a dash cam fitted as standard.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.