Dead Kona

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
Sean@300648

Post by Sean@300648 »

I have been the happy owner of a 2018 1.0t Gdi since new with absolutely no problems .... until yesterday when it went TOTALLY DEAD?
Initially thought battery so called for Green Flag assist ...
Mechanic came out ... tested battery and it wasn't that ... 12.5volts
He searched for 20 minutes and determined that all fuses were OK but no power in the instrument panel fuse box?
He couldn't do a diagnostic as there was no ignition power?
Basically everything is dead except for cabin lights and little Kona car model that indicates open doors,bonnet etc.??
Does anyone have any hints ..... Hyundai have a three week wait??!!!
Thanks for reading

Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I'm not an expert on as a newcomer to Hyundai from May. However, from my experience from Nissan....it sounds like a duff battery as I had this once and the battery showed 12v. Apparently you should check the voltage after the car has been idle for 8 hours or more (dont ask me). some things will function with the duff battery such as interior lights that require little voltage. Can you lock/unlock the doors using the fob? if you have that on your car. Also dont suppose it relates to your model but there is a battery reset button on the hybrid which might be worth a try if you have that. Also the old trick of pressing the start button with the fob might be worth a try. Or in desperation try jumping the battery just to eliminate for certain if it is a duff battery or not .Good luck we would all be interested to hear what the problem turns out to be I'm sure.
Sean@300648

Post by Sean@300648 »

Thanks for your words and input ....
NIce suggestions but unfortunately not the answer!
Battery is still good and jump starter didn't bring any more life back to the "dead animal"!!!
She is being towed off to the experts as I type! These new breed of cars are a pain .... No power so steering lock jamming wheels off skew?!!
Will keep everyone posted
Sean@300648

Post by Sean@300648 »

Well Done Jeffers ....
You ended up being spot on .....
My DEAD Kona was towed to my local garage who obviously re-tested everything the call-out mechanic did and then replaced the battery and hey presto, she comes back to life ....
There is some quirky reason how maybe one dead battery cell still gives an adequate voltage reading but kills the main power? The dead cell even blocks a power-pac from doing its job?
So the upshot for anyone who has a similar problem is to COMPLETELY remove the existing battery and try a new one ....
Hope this post helps someone in the future ..... ;) :P

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post