Tyre Pressures

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
RangeFinder

Post by RangeFinder »

I found myself charging recently next to another EKona. Coincidentally the owners of it returned to their car while I was just waiting for mine to finish charging and we got talking. They must have had their Kona almost as soon as they came out as they have owned it since September 2018 and they have already completed 45,000 miles in it! Very impressive. they also mentioned that they had only just had to change tyres which I was also impressed by given what I have heard about EV's going through tyres quite quickly. I am sure they said they keep the tyres at 46 PSI, which is considerably higher than the 36 PSI recommended by Hyundai on the door pillar. I have just pumped mine up to 38 all round as a compromise, but wonder what others feels is the optimal? Thanks for your comments.

Post by 501501 »

Mine EV Ultimate was delivered at 42 PSI with NEXEN tires. I assumed that it was the recommended pressure, what was the delivery pressure at delivery, what tires did yours come with?
RangeFinder

Post by RangeFinder »

Mine also came with Nexen, but I must admit I didn't check the tyre pressures until recently. However, I read on another forum that they are often delivered with pressures well in excess of 40 PSI, but the recommended pressures on the door pillar definitely say 36....quite confusing really. Why would they recommend a lower pressure than what they are delivered with? one theory was that this is just for the shipping journey, but in which case you would expect the dealer to lower the pressures as part of the pre-delivery preparations!