Home charging points

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
CRB

Post by CRB »

I'm new on here and yet to take delivery but hopefully might be this week.....but my question is....how many have a home charging point?

I need to get an isolation switch fitted before I can get a home charging point installed. And no more than 2 minutes away there is a public charging point which is currently on "free vend" so am wondering if I need to get a home charging point or not?

What does everyone else do / have done?

Thanks

Chris
Kona Electric Premium SE 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue

bertlevis

Post by bertlevis »

Had a Home Charging point fitted, despite still waiting for the Car. Ohme charger, and living in Staffordshire I did research and had it fitted locally, company did a brilliant job very quick and efficient. In addition changed energy provider to Octopus Energy, Agile tariff. In simplistic terms you tell the charger that you are with Octopus, the tariff name, it then recognises that and there are various things it can do, but I like the ability via the phone app to tell the charger to charge the car when Electric is at a certain price , and he charger so I’m told will dip in/out when electricity is a the pre determined price. With the Agile tariff you are charged a different tariff throughout the day each 30 mins. Sounds complex but it’s not really. End result very very cost effective :roll:
CRB

Post by CRB »

:) Thanks for the speedy reply.

Very Interesting
Ceramic Blue
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

Out of interest where are your 'free vend' chargers located? Do you know how long they will be free?
The ones near us are lamp post based and are free until early 2021, they are about five minutes away and are currently rarely used. It certainly gives you time to check out the market and make an informed decision on your own charger and tariff
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

When I bought my Kona it came with an offer of a PodPoint home charger.
This was fitted inside my garage since my other half and I garage our cars every night.

You should note that there may be a probem if you buy a second electric car and want another charger.
It will probably not be supplied free or even at a reduced price.

The reason - the govnt. pay a subsidy for fitting a home charger, but the limit is only one per address.
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
CRB

Post by CRB »

anupanu wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:10 pm Out of interest where are your 'free vend' chargers located? Do you know how long they will be free?
The ones near us are lamp post based and are free until early 2021, they are about five minutes away and are currently rarely used. It certainly gives you time to check out the market and make an informed decision on your own charger and tariff
I'm based in South Manchester and the points are part of the GMEV network. Don't know how long they will remain free though!
Ceramic Blue
CRB

Post by CRB »

AEB-UK wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 am When I bought my Kona it came with an offer of a PodPoint home charger.
This was fitted inside my garage since my other half and I garage our cars every night.

You should note that there may be a probem if you buy a second electric car and want another charger.
It will probably not be supplied free or even at a reduced price.

The reason - the govnt. pay a subsidy for fitting a home charger, but the limit is only one per address.
Thanks.

I think PodPoint are Hyundai's preferred supplier but I know of a great supplier who are more costly but the charging point seems to be much better quality than PodPoint.
Ceramic Blue
CRB

Post by CRB »

So just "played" with using a public charging point.....11.525 Kw in 1hr 15mins at the charging point nearest to home and which is about a 5 minute walk away.

Didn't need the charge.....I just wanted to see how easy it was...and it was very easy.

And it was free....what's not to like?
Ceramic Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post