Unexpected battery management with low battery

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
Jonathan_KonaEV

Post by Jonathan_KonaEV »

Hey all,

There had been a few instances over the summer where I was on low battery (<10%) making my way home*. My Kona EV gave me full power (ie, enough to stay on the highway the last few km's till my house), being able to do approx 100kph (60mph). This was all good. No worries.

Last week, I took my Kona EV into the shop for the battery management update to prevent the battery from catching fire.

Today, I was coming home on the highway and again hit 10%. I was only a few km's from home so I knew I could make it easily. However, my Kona then started steadily slowing down such that I had to turn on my 4-ways as my car was doing 60kph in a 110kph zone. Eventually I was able to pull off on an exit where my car slowed to a halt.

I turned my car off then back on again and had full power, so that I could drive on the side roads at 60kph (30mph). One block away from my house (2% battery), it died again in an intersection. I turned my car off, back on and I again had full power such that I could drive the last km (1/2 mile) to my house.

I've never had this experience of my car stopping itself before and I certainly do NOT expect it at 10% battery.

My expectation, based on previous example, is that it would give me full power right up until it died.

Is this expected behavior with the new battery management update?

Anybody else encounter this?

* This is not a usual habit

CRB

Post by CRB »

No sorry - but haven't ever let the battery get that low.

About 15% is the lowest it has got in the 10 months I have head the car.
Kona Electric Premium SE 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
Skydivermel

Post by Skydivermel »

I've seen a video where it's suggested that once a month charge your battery to 100% which cycles the batteries. The rest of the time only charge to 80%.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post