Real world range

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
pjonesf1

Post by pjonesf1 »

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been looking at an Ioniq PHEV but after reading an article in Which that said miss the Hybrid & PHEV stage if you can and go for a full electric I thought that I should do a bit more research. The range of the Ioniq electric is too small for some long journeys I have to do periodically.

I am considering buying a Kona electric but I must be able to get from Kent to the Midlands in one hit. So my question is will I comfortably be able to do 200 miles on a cold winters day probably using heating and lights and at motorway speeds. In theory I would have 79 miles to spare but is this true

I know from experience how optimistic manufacturers and be with the economy figures.

CRB

Post by CRB »

My experience over this winter has been that I get at least 200 miles if not closer to 230 miles.

During the summer and autumn then around town 300 miles was more likely and at least 250 when driving to and from Scotland.
Kona Electric Premium SE 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hi PJonesf1,
I get similar mileage as CRB. During the summer, with warmer temperatures, the range is typically 260 miles fully charged. During this winter it dropped to 234 miles on one occasion but usually is around 240 miles. You can extend the range with some careful driving in 'ECO' mode and using the regeneration braking as much as possible, though if your on the motorway your not going to use that so much ;) Also if you switch off the climate control the mileage jumps by as much as 10 miles. I use the smart cruise control as much as possible as that helps to use the power economically. The lights, indicators etc are run from the 12v battery which is charged from the main one and the heating/cooling is supplied from the main battery.
I used to have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and it only did 26 miles typically on a charge, Mitsi quoted 30 miles and I only achieved that once. It remembered how you drove and how much load was applied, hills etc. from the previous journey and calculated the mileage from that for the next range...if you see what I mean. I think the Kona does the same because I recently had a software update and when I charged it up the next time, the range went up to 287 miles! But subsequent charges have seen it drop to circa 240 miles.
If your pockets are deep enough, why not consider the Ioniq 5? Hyundai are reserving 3000 for the UK and EU markets, it has a range of 310 miles...allegedly :) https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioni ... 3-5228098-
The thing to do is plan your journey as you will need to charge up before you head back to Kent. There is an app called Zap-Map that has all the public charge points in the UK and their availability.

Good luck, I can thoroughly back up the Which 'Best Buy' category, it's great to drive, veeeery quick in sport mode, but that sucks the battery, great for leaving boy racers in your dust :lol:
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
pgh1949

Post by pgh1949 »

You'll do it easily! I've been getting around 250 Miles in winter and easily 300 in the summer. I drive reasonably carefully but nothing out of the ordinary and that's a mix of rural roads, some town driving and some A-roads and Motorways.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post