Kona Gen 5 Sat Nav October 20 update changes

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
TGPGBR

Post by TGPGBR »

I had my Kona Sat Nav Gen 5 update today, and the changes I’ve already spotted are as follows;
1) The 3 pane home screen is no more – but actually, it’s not a real loss once you get used to it.
2) There are fewer button presses to get to the screens you need. You can get to Settings from the Home screen by swiping left is one example.
3) Three profiles are available, Guest, Driver 1 and Driver 2. I’m the only driver so I’ve left it at Guest.
4) The number of radio presets on DAB/FM is now 24 (4 banks of 6) it was 50 before.
5) Radio presets go up/down from the last used when using up/down on the steering when they used to step from 1 or 50. It does work better.
6) There is a new option on FM for noise reduction in weak signal areas.
7) On DAB ALL station logos are now displayed.
8) There is no Radio Favourites complete list as before, but once you get used to the 4 banks of 6 it’s not an issue.
9) The Medium Wave is very “retro” with 3 valve icons, actually its not that bad.
10) On both DAB/FM and MW the station name is in Orange when driving it easier to read.
11) There is now a choice of three map colours – I chose Milky as it’s more like a proper map.
12) Routes are now set up “connected” i.e. via the BlueLink Tom Tom. This means most processing is “in the cloud” rather than in the unit, so it’s much more responsive.
13) Vehicle speed can be displayed on the map – above the speed limit sign – which is very useful.
14) With a route set, the Motorway exit sign in the top right is the correct icons.
15) On the map, traffic information and vehicle icon colour can be selected.
16) The Live Weather (and on the home screen) now tracks your actual location, previously it was your destination with a route set, or a favourite if no route set.
17) The available presets for Alerts is mind-boggling, there are so many I’ve just left it as is.
18) Speed Camera alerts now have more options.

Not_a_canoe

Post by Not_a_canoe »

and now you can't add your own POI files. A serious blow for me as I have things like National Trust carpark locations andlots of things to do with rivers.

Does anyone know how many points you can have in the new Address Book?
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Was it a free update?
Who is eligible for this update?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
Not_a_canoe

Post by Not_a_canoe »

Free - done as part of my first service.

Kona Premium SE Hybrid
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Thank you.
Unfortunately it wasn't done at my last service a few months ago.
If it has to go in for the next recall, I'll ask them to do it then.
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
anupanu

Post by anupanu »

Thanks for the information, if it is not too much trouble could you check to see if Android Auto has gone full screen (like CarPlay)?
Tangerine Comet Premium SE Hybrid, initially due early May, then due early June, arrived 14th August 2020.
Not_a_canoe

Post by Not_a_canoe »

Sorry I don't use Android Auto or Car Play.
Android Auto didn't add anything last time and with this upgrade I've been too busy working out how to deal with my POI loss.
Now have 7 memory sticks each with an address file to load before I use it. Overwrites what is in the satnav with new location data.
For the large Nation Trust file I'll now be carrying a booklet with lat/long data to load manually as needed, and the decimal point on the keyboard isn't recognised in decimal lat/long positions, it has to be a full stop!
Lion

Post by Lion »

AEB-UK wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am Thank you.
Unfortunately it wasn't done at my last service a few months ago.
If it has to go in for the next recall, I'll ask them to do it then.
My dealership did not get their hands on the update until early Jan 2021
Car Premium SE 64KW
TGPGBR

Post by TGPGBR »

I think they're telling you porkies. They just enter your VIN number and download it from the HERE (used to be Navtech) servers.
Not_a_canoe

Post by Not_a_canoe »

TGPGBR wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm I think they're telling you porkies. They just enter your VIN number and download it from the HERE (used to be Navtech) servers.
This isn't just a map upgrade downloadable from Here this is a complete Head Unit upgrade and it is downloaded direct from Korea - screens are different, it works differently,

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post