Replacing 3 pin plug

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
Konaman31

Post by Konaman31 »

I have a new Kona Premium 64kw. Unfortunately I have broken a pin off the 3 pin charger. When I stripped the able to replace the 3 pin plug I noted a 4th cable of much lower ampage. Presumably a control cable . The3 pin plug is moulded so unable to determine where to connect it. Any ideas please.

KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Welcome Konaman31, I have to ask...how did you manage that :shock: I have to say that I wouldn't even try to rewire it with a rewireable plug, it won't comply with the electrical regs that covers fitted non-rewireable plugs, BS 1363-1especially as it is brand spanking new, and Hyundai may disown you if you used it and something went wrong.
I've know idea what the 4th wire will be for but may be part of the integrity checks that it goes through prior to charging commencing. I don't know which pin it should be connected to.
To be honest, you may never need it if you have a home charge point and is really if you are completely stuck as it takes sooo long to charge the battery. If you do need it, ask your dealer if they can replace it, maybe it's covered under the warranty.
As an example of how tetchy Hyundai are about wiring alterations, I wanted to hard wire my dashcam and asked the dealer if they would do it for me, the train of thought was, if the dealer does it will be covered by the warranty. They wouldn't do it and had been advised by Hyundai to inform owners that ANY wiring additions like that would invalidate the warranty and was told that using the 12v socket was the acceptable way to connect equipment. This because your Kona EV is bristling with high tech you can't see! For example there is a device called a Body Control Module or BCM for short. This looks after and controls power to equipment like A/C, heating, windows and much more. Without it nothing works!
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
Konaman31

Post by Konaman31 »

Thanks for the input, perhaps I will see if it is covered under warranty