Suitability of carrying mobility scooter in back of Kona EV

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
Krs

Post by Krs »

Hi, my name is Kevin. I’m disabled and have been awarded the higher rate PIP payment today.

I would like a Kona EV but have not visited the local Derby dealer yet. No car at present and I get around locally on a mobility scooter.

My question is do you think a scooter would fit in the rear with the back seats up or down. It’s going to cost a load of money visiting different car dealers by taxi so I need to eliminate cars that won’t work for me.

I may need to fit a small hoist to load the scooter into the rear hatch and the seat and handle bars do fold down. It can also be broken down to fit in the boot/hatch but I don’t know if I have the strength for that.

Any opinions would be welcome. The Kona EV seems to be the best value for EV’s on the Motability scheme.

Thanks in advance and I do hope the Kona works for me.

AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

To carry a wheelchair we have to fold down the rear seats to carry it folded and lying flat.
If we take off the wheels and the footrests, it will fit in the boot with the rear seats up.
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
wja96

Post by wja96 »

The Kona doesn’t really lend itself to this sort of use.

I’d be looking at a Renault Kangoo ZEV with a ramp. This is a very popular motability adapted vehicle.

The car is supposed to make your life easier. If it’s a pain in the backside to get your scooter in there it’s not doing that.
KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello Kevin, I have a KonaEV and think it's great, but...I really don't think it will have room for a hoist to be fitted to swing the scooter on and into the back. I am a volunteer driver for a Community Transport charity and we have recently purchased a Nissan E-NV200 from Brotherhood, they have converted it and fitted a ramp. It really works well for us and passengers like too. We get a range of about 126-130 miles with it. Here is a link to Brotherwood's website if your interested. https://www.brotherwood.com/wheelchair- ... n-env-200/

I hope that helps and you get out and about soon :)
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
Just2Fish

Post by Just2Fish »

Hi, I've just signed up for a Kona Ultimate EV and spoke with Jeff Gosling beforehand as I may want a hoist fitted (but can manage without). They said that each model of electric car has to be tested for safety of fitting a hoist, by the hoist manufacturer, before approval, because of the wiring in EVs. This hasn't been done for the electric Kona yet and it isn't known when it will be. However as well as my big scooter, a Mini Crosser M2, which would never fit in, I have a SupaScoota Sport which I've been testing in various light off-road situations, gravel, grass, etc, and it's holding up very well, though I wouldn't want to spend a day on it. The joy of the SupaScoota is that it can be dismantled into various bits, or the seat just lifted off (not very heavy) and the scooter folded. It will then fit into the Kona. Maybe that's the answer for you? I also use a Dash Efold powered wheelchair which would fit in (it folds down) but I'm thinking of selling that as it's OK on short grass but useless on gravel.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post