Battery Capacity

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
Robcro

Post by Robcro »

We have a new Kona Electric with a 64 battery.
We drove it yesterday and had a Range of 275 when we started.
We fully charged it overnight and the range is down to 240 miles.
Everything is off, heating, A/C etc, has anyone any ideas as to why such a drop in range?
We have had the car 3 weeks now.

KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello and welcome Robcro, I too have the 64kwh battery model and when I took delivery last October, the range was 287 miles! Through the winter it dropped to 234 and now is up to 260 miles. There are several reasons but the main one is ambient temperature. When it is cold, the battery is not at it's best when charging and the range drops significantly. Another reason might be the terrain you drive on, I live in a hilly area, and that uses more energy, also the way you drive, it calculates how it was driven previously and bases the range on that. Too damn clever! :roll: Something to look out for is the mileage via Bluelink. It shows it with the climate switched off and also in Km's until you press the wee blue refresh button, then it displays in miles!! :?
I had a software update done by the dealer in March and the range jumped back up to 287 miles, then came back down again to circa 240, so I think it remembers how it was driven previously.
Prior to owning the Kona I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and when new had a range of 30 miles in EV mode, after driving it a couple of days it dropped to 26/28 miles, I never saw it at 30 miles again! I hope that helps to dispel any EV angst you may have :)
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
Robcro

Post by Robcro »

Thanks so much for that comment it reaffirms some feedback I received last night from the Hyundai dealership where I bought the car after I emailed them

“ thank you for your email. There are many elements that can effect driving efficiency and the reported range, the main effect is generally down to driving style and the types of trips (a greater mix of motorway driving for example). If you go to the “EV” screen in the infotainment unit and clock on the “Eco Driving” section you will be able to view your economy history and it should give the miles per kWh that were achieved on each trip, what is this currently reporting and does it show a noticeable drop recently? The recent rainy weather will have also had an impact as the rain does effect the aero dynamic profile of the car and the surface water effects the rolling resistance of the tyres - this is of course not specific to EVs but generally with a normal ICE vehicle people don’t notice a 10% drop in their mpg over a short period.

One quick thing that you can check is to make sure that the tyre pressures are all still ok, after driving for a few minutes you can get the pressures on the instrument panel.

You can reset the instrument panel (scroll so that it is showing the accumulated info and hold the “ok" button down) and this will reset the stored information form the previous trips and reset the reported range. If you are finding that the car is still reporting a lower efficiency on trips than it was before then we can always have a look at it.”

A really helpful response I thought.

In reality, 3 days ago we took a long trip, in heavy rain on the motorway, and our miles / kWh dropped to 2.9 miles from a previous average of 4. So as you say feels like the car is predicting your mileage, assuming that your most recent drives are set to continue. So since then, the range has started to edge up each day, and is now at 252 as I have driven in more affable conditions. When you get your head around it, it makes sense. Thanks for your note, really appreciated.
KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello Robcro, every day is a skool day :) and I've learnt something too, from your dealer, the bit about resetting the stored data, so thank you for that. You say that you have had it 4 weeks now so maybe you've realised the main thing to get round EV angst is...plan your journey ahead, like charging the car overnight before a long trip, and don't forget your ChargePlaceScotland card (or equivalent) before setting off on holiday...I speak from experience :roll: Long story that was resolved eventually.
Another thing to check is the 'winter mode' It maybe still selected. I think its under EV settings. This keeps the battery warm when charging through the winter period. I wonder if it is selected automatically as I didn't select it and found it 'ticked'

Anyway, glad to help, stay safe and carry on enjoying your KonaEV.
PS. I love leaving boy racers at the lights :lol:
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
Pasty

Post by Pasty »

That is helpful. Just one more is the range more accurate than the battery percentage bar? Still new to this

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post