Speed Limiter?

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
SteveGB56

Post by SteveGB56 »

Hi all, I am hoping to pick up Kona EV on Saturday, 9 week old pre-reg 64Kw premium.
Can anyone confirm if it has a speed limiter as I can't find any reference anywhere?
What I refer to is the ability to set a speed, say 30, 40 or 50 and once set the car will not exceed it regardless of accelerator pedal position (other than stamp down).
I have become very used to this on my present Mazda.

Thanks

Steve

KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello Steve,
By now you may have found the speed limiter, but in case you haven't, it's the same button for the smart cruise control, just press it twice. The display in front of you changes from cruise to limit then you press the button down on the RH hand side of the steering wheel and that sets the limit at the speed you are doing. I hope that helps. ;)
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

I’m confused. I can set the speed limiter to work. However, whilst there is a slight hesitancy in car speed, the car easily exceeds any speed set. The only thing we seem to get is a sound alert at the set speed. I expected the car to be held at or below this speed. What are other folks experience?
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

" I expected the car to be held at or below this speed."
That is what I get. I set the speed to 80kh (54mph) and the car will not accelerate past that setting. It will go faster if I go down a hill and the alarm will sound after approximately a 2mph increase to warm me.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

I’m assuming we have a fault then. Our car will accelerate through the set speed (a slight hesitation) but proceeds to an audible alert only. A non-electric Hyundai we borrowed had what I was expecting, a complete reluctance to accelerate beyond the limit set.
Back to the dealership or does anyone know of a fix?
KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello DandDKona, I've just had a play with mine today and it definitely won't let you go above the set speed. It's not a feature I use very often, if at all, I use the smart cruise control most of the time, very useful in traffic though daunting at first when you let it stop the car :o :)
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

Thanks KoolKona EV. I agree, letting the car slow itself and even stop had me with my foot held above the brake pedal - I haven’t got completely used to it yet. I want the limiter to work as we have been used to using it on another car, where it is foolproof.
I am a tad concerned about the tech on the car, yesterday I went to switch profile to my wife and it appeared in a foreign language 🤔. Not long after we picked the car up it suddenly switched everything to metric, i.e. KPH etc. Easy to fix but a bit bizarre.
baldbeardie

Post by baldbeardie »

To engage the speed limiter on my Kona Electric Premium, I make a long press on the button at the far right-hand side of the steering wheel. A short press of that same button engages cruise control.

I have had cruise control on every car I've owned over the last 30 years, and it has always behaved as I would expect - a reasonably strong prevention of any over-speed unless either going down a significant hill, or the accelerator is pressed to the floor - kickdown! - to override it. In both cases there was then an overspeed warning bong. On the Kona, the speed limiter seems pretty useless - beyond a slight reluctance and a lot of bonging it seems to do very little to actually prevent you from exceeding the set speed. Pretty rubbish, especially given how easy it would be to use regen braking to implement a strict speed limiter on an EV. Extremely disappointing, but consistent with the many other poorly designed and/or implemented software features.

Does anyone from Hyundai read these forums?
DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

We have now had the operation of the speed limiter checked by a main dealer at the annual service - apparently it is operating correctly, i.e it doesn't limit the speed, just bongs and bongs and bongs. Useless. Have the guys at Hyundai ever tried a competitor car....or even one of their own non-electric vehicles? The speed limiter does what it says on the tin on these.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post