Regeneration Braking how do you use it?

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
DaftVader

Post by DaftVader »

Hi all My name is Mike and I've only had my Kona Ultimate for 2 weeks so far. So a bit of a noobie !

I've noticed that if I'm on maximum re-gen and then ease it off as I'm driving the car seems to feel smoother and also speeds up?
I can actually feel/hear a difference in the car.
I don't understand this.. I though the re-gen would only take affect with you foot off the pedal?

Also what's the general opinion on how to use the re-gen. Do most people change it up and down as they drive or do you leave it on the setting you prefer?
Does any of this make much of a difference in miles/km ?

Thanks

KoolKonaEV

Post by KoolKonaEV »

Hello Mike, It's working as it should :) As you take your foot off the accelerator pedal the car should slow down, just like the deceleration you get with an ICE using the engine as a brake. The paddles behind the steering wheel increase/decrease the regen braking effect. Flick the left paddle towards you to increase, flick the right hand one towards you to decrease. On the dashboard in front of you at the bottom of the display there is a wee box with arrow heads in it, 3 shown means full regen none shown obviously no regen. Here's a tip if you hold the left paddle towards you the car will come to a stop, but give yourself plenty of room to get the hang of it ;) . If you drive in eco mode you will see the effect of regen braking with the mileage totalizing at the top of the display, when you accelerate it disappears. If you go down a steep hill put it on full regen and see how you gain :)
Have you got the new version of Bluelink :?: You can see how much energy recuperation in Kwh's if you go to 'home', scroll down to the bottom and select 'charging/energy' then 'energy consumption'.

Have you tried the Smart cruise control yet and the braking effect it has :o it's a bit daunting at first but it will bring you to a halt if the car in front stops, also it will keep you at the speed of the vehicle in front, very clever.

I hope this helps.
Kona Electric Premium 64Kwh
Ceramic Blue
DaftVader

Post by DaftVader »

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Do you drive most of the time with a certain level of re-gen and alter it rarely or do you actively use it all the time?
Haven't been on a long enough journey yet to try the Active cruise control. At the moment I'm still trying to get the hang of all the gadgets and settings. :)

Mike
Neofolis

Post by Neofolis »

To be honest, I don't really understand most uses of battery regen and certainly not auto uses. The most economical driving is achieved by maintaining speed and battery regen does the opposite. There are certainly uses for it. If you are going downhill, you can adjust the regen to maintain a more constant speed, although the chances of the incline exactly matching any level are minute, so it will require switching between levels. Also, if you have no option but to slow down, then again battery regen is useful, but to drive as economically as possible, we should be trying to avoid losing speed wherever possible. Leaving plenty of distance between yourself and the car in front of you will reduce how often you need to slow down substantially.

My general policy is to have auto regen off and regen level at zero. If I need to slow down, I will hold the left paddle until I reach my desired speed, which may need to be supplemented with brakes on rare occasions. As mentioned above, if I am travelling downhill, I will adjust the regen from zero up to whichever lever best maintains an appropriate speed.

All that said, I am only doing this at the moment, because my car is new and I'm experimenting to find out the maximum range I can achieve. It's not really a style of driving I would recommend long-term, because it's quite annoying using the paddles to slow down rather than brakes which give a progressive response. Given that using the brakes will still give some regen anyway, the benefit of solely using regen to slow down is probably minor.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post