Advice for a new owner please

New to the Hyundai Kona Forums? Introduce yourself here
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Hi guys,
I'm part-exchanging my 2017 Focus St-Line for a 2018 surfy blue Kona Premium 1.0 t-gdi this weekend and as it's my first venture into Hyundai ownership I just wondered if there are any known issues that I need to look out for ??
It's got 39k on the clock with FDSH and on the test drive yesterday it drove like a dream and the only thing I've found with a brief google search is potentially stretching and subsequent rattling of the timing chain ???
All replies gratefully received :)

Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Hmmm....not quite as busy as the Focus forum on here is it, but I guess that's down to the actual number of Kona's out there, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised !!
I'll try with one specific question that I've just remembered then....can the Lane Assist and Stop/Start functions be permanently disabled or do they have to be manually switched off every time the engine is started ??
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Hi. I think the lack of response is down to the lack of problems. I have read that some people have had issues with certain crank cace castings and timing chains at low mileage. Your car has done enough miles for this issue to have shown up, so I would not worry about it. As for the lane assist I do not turn mine off. I find it reassuring and have it on the highest level. It is the same with the stop start. Unless I am at a standstill for a long period I will keep my foot on the clutch. There are self resettings options that can not be preset which is annoying, cruse control, speed limiting for example. However, I find the car a pleasure to drive and always have a smile on my face. I am sure you will enjoy your first Hyundai ownership as much as I do. Best wishes....
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Cheers Kenny....I've been driving for 40 years now and the only accident I have had was when I was 18 and did £45 worth of damage to the back bumper of a Ford Cortina, which suddenly stopped in front of me on a roundabout !!
I have done numerous driving courses since then so find the idea of the car telling me what to do as being very annoying so I won't be using the lane assist or cruise control. The same goes for the stop/start which basically kills batteries. I now work part-time for a local motor factors delivering car parts to local garages and I would say that we are now delivering as many replacement stop/start batteries for cars around 4-5 years old as we are normal batteries for 8-10 year old cars, the difference being that the stop/start batteries are considerably more expensive and obviously this likely negates any actual gains to the environment too !!
Anyway, rant over and thanks again for your informed reply and I am really looking forward to picking the car up on Saturday (hopefully !!) ;)
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Ok....so I got the car today and drove it home about 30 miles and only found 1 minor(ish) issue....when changing down from 5th or 6th gear the gear lever doesn't automatically spring across to the default position of 3rd/4th. At one point I thought I was in 3rd but then found it was 5th, so had to change down again. I suspect this could be down to lack of use of 5th and 6th gears by the previous owner (might be wrong) and it feels as though the issue is in the linkage below the gear stick. I have tried to lift the gear lever gaiter up to see if I can possibly get some spray grease in there to try and lubricate it, but the gaiter didn't seem to want to move and as the surround is plastic I obviously didn't want to break it. I know this is a weird one, but has anyone either encountered the same problem and/or removed the gaiter for any reason and, if so, does it just prise up ??
Also, I am wanting to hard wire my dashcam and have located the fuse box behind the OBD port, so has anyone done this and can recommend which fuse to piggyback off please ??
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

So, I've spent all day today tinkering with the car and managed to prise up the gear lever gaiter far enough to spray some grease onto the linkages below. I've taken it for a test drive and I think it seemed better, although still not perfect, so I will just have to monitor it over the coming days and see how it goes. Regarding the Dashcam, I've piggybacked the feed from the "spare" 10 amp fuse on the third row from the right, third fuse up, which is ignition live and that seems to be working fine.
I've gone through all the settings and menu's and set everything to my own personal preference and am now loving the way it both looks and drives...happy days :D :D
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Glad you are happy, mostly. I have hard wired my dash-cam by piggy backing the fuse for the rear wipers.

fuse-web.jpg

KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Cheers again, Kenny...as I stated above, I've used the "spare" 10 amp one on the next row to the left and one down.
One thing I noticed yesterday was that when you put the handbrake on with the engine running, the DRL's go off...thought that was a bit strange ??
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

I'm never sure what the lights do at specific times. I can't see them whilst I am driving, but now you mention it I thing I read something about that a long time ago. How do your front seat passenger feel about the lower seat position? I raised the seat by one inch to make my Mrs feel better.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

No issues with her seat position but I'm now curious as to how you raised the seat ??

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post