ALL-NEW HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC

All Hyundai Kona related discussions
ElectraGlidein Blue

Post by ElectraGlidein Blue »

Good to see this thread taking off, I ordered mine on release day back in August and got it on 18th September. I had to rely on reviews as there was no test drive car and indeed to date I have not seen another one. I reckoned that if Top Gear was not slagging it off it must be OK. Six week waiting list at that point! Sign up the ยฃ250 deposit is refundable if you change your mind.

No phone app. Would be nice, the I3 has an app, but I am at home it is charging overnight when I am asleep. I set the car up for overnight charging on economy 7 tarriff. I also specify departure time so it then sets the car to the set temperature. Car perfectly defrosted and heated this morning. I then went to Ikea for a coffee and topped up the charge with ecotricity. The ecotricity app kept me updated with the the charging info whilst I sat in the Coffee Shop. Some apps are better than others. The recharging network involves carrying a lot of RIFD cards and apps.

The VESS is just a gentle hum. I did use a car park where the noise reflected off the walls of the spiral ramp, a strange hum.

No luggage space up front, the electric motor takes up as much space as a 4 cylinder Internal combustion. The BMW I3 has the engine in the rear and a useable space under the front bonnet. I volunteer at National Trust Stoneywell which is between Markfield and Bradgate Park. Could meet up when am next there. Have you ever visited Stoneywell?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stoneywell

My first auto, it is so easy to drive and so far after 2,000 miles I have spent less than ยฃ50 on recharging.
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™

ElectraGlidein Blue

The charging lead is 5 metres which has proved adequate so far. The tethered lead on my home charger is also 5 metres.
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Thank you.
I asked because our charger is inside the front of the garage, and I don't want to have to reverse into the garage so it can be put on charge overnight.
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
ElectraGlidein Blue

I was lucky, I ordered mine on the release date in Early August. Original delivery date quoted was January 2019 but my spec came through mid September. There not a phone app to connect to the car. However, for instance if I charge using Ecotricityโ€™s Electric Highway App then when I charge using one of their charging stations (I use LFE on the M1 and their point at IKEA. The app tells me how the charging session is progressing.

There are no demonstrators, I made a leap of faith based on favourable reviews from Top Gear. Since Top Gear are quite harsh, I took their favourable review as being very positive.

When at home I can program the car to charge overnight on economy7. I can set the charge at different times for each day. Further to that I can set a departure time and the car is then preheated (or cooled in Summer!). It works, the car is defrosted and heated. Worked a treat this week.

I have only heard the VESS occasionally, for instance when driving on the spiral ramp at a multi-storey car park where the sound, a strange whinning noise was reflected off the concrete walls. Otherwise I do not hear it.

The motor fills the engine bay, it is as big as a 4 cylinder engine. Plus the 12v battery, aircon, screen wash, brake fluid, cooling top up (batteries are water cooled/heated) makes the underbonnet not much different to a petrol/diesel in appearance.

The luggage space is in the back, as per a conventional car. The BMW I3 has a usable front space, being rear engined and rear wheel drive.

I am a volunteer at Stoneywell National Trust not far from you. I am there next Saturday morning.
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
ElectraGlidein Blue

What Car have tested EVโ€™s for range, the 39kw version comes in at a credable number 5 and if you do not do long journeys that is all you need. Meanwhile the 64kw comes in 1st, beating the Jag and the Tesla.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-car-r ... rld/n18161
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
ElectraGlidein Blue

Typical working day. My wife did a 40 mile round trip to work. Left with 80% charge ( I do not bother charging to 100% unless we are going on a long trip) charging to 80% is kinder to the battery plus if we go shopping we can often find a free charger and charge up to whilst shopping.

To recharge the battery overnight tonight to 80% will take 2hr 10 mins overnight per the on screen display in the car. At the 7kw home charging rate that is about 15 units of electricity, at the economy 7 rate that will cost about ยฃ1.40. Just over 3p per mile.
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

From what % level to 80% will take 2hr 10min?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
ElectraGlidein Blue

The waiting list currently about 44 weeks might come down a bit?

https://electrek.co/2018/11/21/hyundai- ... tion-ramp/
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
ElectraGlidein Blue

My car is booked in at dealer for a software update next week. It will be interesting to see what this will bring. Anyone else had this?
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™
ElectraGlidein Blue

Just noted a post from AEB-UK from last month, doozy me, sorry for not replying. The 2hr 10mins to recharge to 80% was from about 63% if my memory serves. 17% of capacity to do a round trip of 40 miles. 17% is about 10kw of battery capacity which at 4 miles per Kw drives 40 miles. 4 miles per kw is a good a figure to aim for this weather. Drops with cold weather and enthusiastic driving. I hope to fo better next Summer.

I could charge the car to 100% and then go all week without a charge, however if you do not plug in you do not get the pre heating, of the car. So I plug it in every night so it is warm and defrosted in the morning.

I might well change what I do next summer when that is not needed (only had the car since mid September so still on a learning curve).

I could at present charge the car up at the weekend and go all week without a charge. Two hundred miles a week commute which is within ramge. Is convenient for me to plug in every night.
Kona 64kw EV ๐Ÿš™

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post