Battery Problem

All Hyundai Kona related discussions
RickB

Post by RickB »

Don't know if this has happened to anyone else but yesterday my battery completely died. Car wouldn't start so tried a jump start, that didn't work.
Car only started after I hooked it up to a mates car battery for 15 mins.
Car had been running perfectly fine before this and nothing was left on in the 2 hour gap between use.
Only had the car a month and have now lost all confidence in it. Will be taking it to a Hyundai dealer at the first opportunity.

Myrosen1957

Post by Myrosen1957 »

Sorry to hear this ,bought mine like 3 weeks ago no problems yet, Tennessee here, all the electronic stuff dies scare me , looks like all new cars are having all thus , good luck
Myrosen1957

Post by Myrosen1957 »

Sorry to hear this ,bought mine like 3 weeks ago no problems yet, Tennessee here, all the electronic stuff dies scare me , looks like all new cars are having all this , good luck, let us know the outcome
Pwt50

Post by Pwt50 »

I recently had the same problem, parked the car at the airport for 7 days, came home and found the battery completely flat. The AA jump started it, and did a battery test then told me the battery was unserviceable and needed to be taken to the dealership for testing, I did so, and was told the battery was not faulty, just needed "a good charging"???!
martin778899

Post by martin778899 »

I've had this twice now with my Jan registered Kona.

In May I went out to the car and the remote wouldn't open it, everything was dead. I had to use the mechanical key, the AA came out 2 hours later, the battery was down to 6v and they used their charger unit to start it. I had to idle it for an hour to recharge the battery.

Then a couple of days ago (August) it happened again. The AA came out in 30 mins, started it the same way.

My car has the keyless ignition, and obviously lights etc were off as always. I did wonder if the hard to shut boot might have caused the boot light to be left on, but it was closed and the light was off. I recently left it at an airport for two weeks and again for a week and it was fine afterwards. Something suddenly discharges the battery totally.

It's a worrying fault as it's intermittent and obviously hard to sort out.
Bobbles

Post by Bobbles »

Shortly after taking delivery of my new Kona some 6 months ago I had similar problems. Went to start the car and although the ignition lit up there was insufficient power to fire it up. Called the AA who jumped started it and thought the cause of the fault was the tailgate not properly shut.
The car was ok for a couple of months when once again it wouldn't start. There was no ignition lights and had to use the key to gain access as battery completely discharged. Called AA who started the car. The AA man was very helpful and did some diagnostic checks and was able to discover some leakage of power and suggested that I took it in to main dealer for further checks.
Booked car in to Petch maindealer who found that there was a fault in the software in the cluster display. they rebooted it and its running perfectly for the last 3 months.
MCooke

Post by MCooke »

Same here; first time only a matter of weeks after we took delivery of the car and again this morning.

Our model is keyless entry and keyless start and the first time it happened the battery was completely flat. We called out the ADAC and the mechanic told us that we should keep the key in a Faraday Bag as potentially the key-finder system may be active and be the cause of the battery drain. He charged it up and we took it for a reasonably long drive (100 kilometres) and since then (until now!) everything was fine - even left the car at the airport without problems for two weeks whilst we went on holiday.

This morning, all the lights come on but the engine won't turn over - suggesting to me that there isn't quite enough energy to turn the starter motor.

Seeing that other owners are having similar problems to us (inexplicable loss of battery power), is only slightly re-assuring! (Oh! It's not just us then!!), but we will definitely be talking to the dealer; perhaps the problem root cause does indeed lie in the cluster display.

It's a real shame, because other than this (which is a MAJOR problem for us) we love that car and are otherwise fully satisfied with it,
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Could you have plugged in the charger and then started the car?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
NickHinde

Post by NickHinde »

I have the same issue. My Premimum GT is 6 months old and 5K miles. Its been perfect till a week ago and it wouldn't start (just solenoid clicks)
Jump started and all good for a week in normal use. Did it to me again at the end of the week and again 2 days later at the airport.
(since the 1st time I am now paraniod about checking for anything left on, doors, boot open etc). The AA guy said the alternator was fine, he thought the battery was probably OK as it wasnt drawing much charge off the alternator. I'm wondering if its a duff solenoid that just needs a few more amps from the running engine of another car? It's back at the dealer and I've lost some confidence in a car that I otherwise really like. I'm going to buy and carry a chargepak and may even hang an external plug under the wheelarch so I can get power onto the battery and unlock in the event of a complete failure. At least it seems I'm not alone.!
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

Having worked for EXide for four years it could be a battery issue. It could be as simple as a lose battery terminal.
If your Kona has a probable battery issue then tell us what brand of battery it is and a model number if possible
At least we may be able to find some 'common factors'
Cheers all.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post