Battery Problem

All Hyundai Kona related discussions
Erick Villeta

Post by Erick Villeta »

My Kona GLS 2.0 has just a little about 2,000 km in it and after a car wash, it stopped right at the middle of a busy highway... A major bomber, it won't start. The aircon and radio are working and all the power is working. After 30 minutes I tried restarting it and it did run; but no less than a few meters away until it stopped. I have to call a towing service and send it over to my nearest Hyundai dealer and service center. Don't know what the f**k is wrong with it and I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Does anyone have this problem with a Hybrid version of the Kona?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
paulseanluke

Post by paulseanluke »

I bought a new Kona (1.0 liter exec model, petrol, manual) just 3 weeks ago (July 2, 2019) and just three weeks later the battery was completely dead for no apparent reason one Sunday morning. The AA jumped it and the following day I brought it to the dealer. The battery was tested and shown to be defective and needed to be replaced. The IGS system (stop/start mechanism) had stopped working after the initial issue with the battery and now with the new battery it continues not to work. I am told this will rectify itself after a couple of days and sufficient kms on the clock.

Also, the instrument cluster control gave unreliable readings, particularly the distance to empty estimation. 30km trips result now in a reduction of estimated kms left by some 60+ kms.

Finally, I have experienced issues with the boot/trunk not closing correctly also (unless slammed shut) and initially thought this may have been the source of the issue with the flat battery. As it stands, the boot/trunk can appear to be shut but is infact not and yet you are still able to lock the car with the key fob. This should not be possible.
peterb139

Post by peterb139 »

Just had the same problem for the second time on my 3 yr old Kona, I understand what you mean about losing trust
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

"Finally, I have experienced issues with the boot/trunk not closing correctly also (unless slammed shut) and initially thought this may have been the source of the issue with the flat battery. As it stands, the boot/trunk can appear to be shut but is infact not and yet you are still able to lock the car with the key fob. This should not be possible."

Make sure the rubber bump stops are screwed in tightly.
This fixed the problem for me.
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
dgarratt

Post by dgarratt »

Does your car have a Utility mode. That's for situations like this where you want to use the main battery to keep all the core systems powered without using the 12v battery.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post