Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

As you can see this has been a long going story but it appears that alot of the fault may be to timing chain cover - where there is not enough clearance between chain and cover.
My thoughts are to make sure they replace the cover as well as the chain and tensioner. Thou most of the concerns are related to the 1.0ltr Kona, i'm sure yours is the same engine.
I still own my 2yr old Kona and though very intermittently I get the rattle from cold but it soon disappears after a few seconds but keeping a strict eye on it before my 5yr warranty expires.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Vitor_R1986

Post by Vitor_R1986 »

Skyrck123 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:40 pm Hi I live in Portugal and own a Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI, I have left my car today at the dealer with this same noise.
They told me it was the timing chain and It needed replacement (25k km and its done it since 15k)
So I highly suggest anyone suffering from the Grinding noise while driving to go to several dealerships since 4 of them told me it was Just the normal engine noise. This Last one though still let me drive the car home but ordered the tensioner, the timing chain and a heat shield above the turbo that was also rattling under acceleration and as soon as it arrived they called me to go leave the car with them, Shame that the Kia assistance in Portugal sucks though.
Hello Skyrck123 !

Vítor, from Portugal too ! :)

Can u please tell me the dealer u went to solve the problem ?
I bought, also, a Kia Rio 1.0 T-Gdi 2019 and found that the car have the same creepy noise at start !

Can u give me a help ?
Vitor_R1986

Post by Vitor_R1986 »

Hi again!

Just to say that a few days ago, i went to KIA dealer, to talk about my concern with the rattle noise from my Rio 1.0 TGDI engine.

Veredict? Well.. They going to replace the timing chain, tensioner a guides.