57%
Google Maps
7%
Waze
36%

Total votes: 14

MattD

Post by MattD »

I've spent the last week or so using all the options, the on board nav system with Tom Tom, Google Maps and Waze, and to be honest I'm still not sure which I prefer, they all have their pros and cons, will try to keep it simple bit here's a few things I've noticed about them all.

If you open Waze as soon as you load AA it will run in the background, this is handy for speed limit warnings, mines set for 5mph over the limit at which point it makes a sound, it will make this sound no matter what aspect of android auto you are using... even if you've switched to Google maps!

There doesnt appear to be a way of making either google maps or Waze full screen, it's split between directions and the map, however you can have the on board nav full screen.

The image of the on board nav seems sharper than nav via AA, this is probably because its mirrored.

If you use voice command for directions whilst using Waze google "hands off" too Waze, however in doing this sometimes it doesn't load the results. Meaning using Google maps seems more reliable from voice command at the moment.

Speed limits are out dated via Tom Tom where as with Waze they are right up to date, I've noticed this in the past, I'm going through many 20mph zones and Tom Tom is saying 30, yet a road near me recently went from 70 to 50 & Waze has updated almost immediately, so be wary of that.

The Tom Tom seems to beep at every traffic camera and speed camera, I really haven't had a good look to see if this can be muted to be honest but it is annoying when u are passing through alot of cameras, it's likely this can be changed though I will have a look tomorrow.

For traffic Waze and Google are the best (I'm pretty sure google own Waze and use the info collected from Waze about traffic and incidents for google) Tom Tom got me stuck in a pretty obvious jam the other day which I know would have been picked up by Waze.

If like me you use it for alot of short journeys then I'd go with Google or Waze, however if you do one or two long journeys a day you can use them all, yes it may take a while loading the info but Tom Tom will show on your HUD, and Waze can give you the up to date incidents, traffic, speed warning etc.

If Google update a few things with Waze like the full screen option and a clearer display I think that would be my first choice, but until then I will just keep using a bit of them all.

Any tips corrections or advice welcome!!...

ibradburn

Post by ibradburn »

do they use your data allowance on the phone?
DIgger

Post by DIgger »

I have always prefered Tomtom to be honest, I believe the Kona is a cut down version of it, tried it out a few weeks ago down to london, connected live service and suprise suprise it perfrorm ok, just annoying beeps at the speed camera,s ,,,navigation was spot on and it tried to route divert due to traffic problems, the apple play in the Kona only allows Maps only no Waze or InRix traffic , so just kept to Kona Sat Nav, I back it up my My trusty TOmTOM Go 400 , but never needed it, yes Waze is good i do use that as well as its more active with users currently giving updates and Waze picks up slow moving traffic or problems quick that Tomtom ..
MattD

Post by MattD »

ibradburn wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:34 pm do they use your data allowance on the phone?
Yes when the Kona connects to your phone it will be using your data, not sure how much, can't imagine it would be much though, you could check by checking the data usage of mobile hotspot before and after connecting.
carryonvending

Post by carryonvending »

Sorry to be thick, but HOW do I set up LIVE using the on-board Sat Nav after setting up the wifi hotspot from my phone?
Quite happy to use data (got loads of it).
Just cant get my head round the set up
PLEASE HELP
Phantom Black Premium SE
MattD

Post by MattD »

carryonvending wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:41 am Sorry to be thick, but HOW do I set up LIVE using the on-board Sat Nav after setting up the wifi hotspot from my phone?
Quite happy to use data (got loads of it).
Just cant get my head round the set up
PLEASE HELP
If you have an android phone search for mobile hotspot, then it will show you how to set it up, gives you a password to type in. It's quite straight forward.

Activate the mobile hotspot on your phone
Go to the menu on the kona head unit and look for the Wi-Fi sign
It will search for your phone's connection
Type in the password from your phone on the kona screen.
Only need to do it once then just activate t he Wi-Fi hotspot on your phone when in your car and the kona will connect automatically.
Myrosen1957

Post by Myrosen1957 »

Is this in the US too, nit sure what yall talking about ? My Kona has WiFi if hooked to my Android phone hotspot? Sorry
carryonvending

Post by carryonvending »

This morning my Sat Nav SD card packed up. Hyundai Milton Keynes to the rescue. Was onsite for five minutes and a Brand New one installed. How is that for great customer service, plus they set up LIVE for me too.
WELL DONE TRACY & GARY
Phantom Black Premium SE
steve9007

Post by steve9007 »

HI all,

Not sure if people are informed of this, but iPhone users that update to IOS12 when it comes out will be able to use third party apps when using Car Play if you haven't got a Sat Nav system built in to car, i currently use Here WeGo mobile app, as it can be used in offline mode if you have downloaded the UK maps, so im waiting for IOS12 to come out and then this will be allowable through Apple Car Play. I got this info from Techradar website.

Third-party apps compatible with CarPlay:

WhatsApp
Spotify
Amazon Music
Google Play Music
iPlayer Radio
CBS Radio
Pandora
Slacker Radio
Tidal
Audible
NPR One
VOX
Clammr
Downcast
Google Maps (coming with iOS 12)
Waze (coming with iOS 12)
Here (coming with iOS 12)

Before WWDC 2018, mapping was an area where CarPlay could have been vastly improved. Now you have a choice that isn't Apple Maps as Apple has revealed that Google Maps and Waze will be available through CarPlay when iOS 12 arrives. As with Apple Maps, once available they will be available straight from the Dashboard of your car. Opening up to these third-party apps will certainly mean more people will be interested in choosing CarPlay foe their infotainment needs.

Default iPhone apps on CarPlay:

Phone
Music
Maps
Podcasts

all taken directly from website so not my intelligence. :shock:
Hyundai Kona 1.0 SE T-GDI
ibradburn

Post by ibradburn »

i think the on board satnav is confusing , instead of showing you driving in the

direction you are going it shows it coming towards you , Is everyones like this ?