ALL-NEW HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC

All Hyundai Kona related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hyundai Motor has released a first teaser image of its first fully-electric SUV ahead of the official unveiling, on February 27. The All-New Kona Electric reinforces the company’s leadership in the eco-car segment. Hyundai Motor will be the first automotive brand across Europe to make an all-electric compact SUV available to everyone, coming to the market in summer 2018.

KONA EV_teaser image.jpeg

Efficiency meets fun-to-drive

The All-New Kona Electric will feature two different powertrain versions offering customers one of the most powerful electric engines on the market with a class leading range of almost 470 kilometres (internal target under WLTP regulations) and a great fun-to-drive character. Furthermore, drivers will benefit from a wide range of convenience and connectivity features as well as active safety and driving assistance technologies.

Hyundai Motor merges the two hottest trends in the automotive market

The All-New Kona Electric enables customers to combine the two worlds of eco-mobility and SUV style. In bringing this car to the market, Hyundai Motor is the first carmaker in Europe to merge these two hottest industry trends.

Hyundai Motor is at the forefront of eco mobility, already offering the broadest range of powertrains. Hyundai marketed the first mass-produced fuel cell vehicle, the ix35, and recently introduced its successor, the All-New Nexo. Furthermore, the successful IONIQ is the only car available with three different electrified powertrains in one body type. The IONIQ Electric has just been ranked first in the prestigious ADAC EcoTest 2017.

Further details will be disclosed on 27 February, ahead of the car’s world premiere at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.

ElectraGlidein Blue

Post by ElectraGlidein Blue »

Ordered an electric 64kw Kona back in August on Day 1 of the reservation system opening and it is due to arrive on Tuesday. Have’nt seen an electric model yet, first batch went out to dealers on the 10th September. In fact I have not seen any Konas on a public road as yet.

Bought this on the strength of a very good Top Gear review and a dealer I trust. What can possibly go wrong! Anyone else out there ordered an EV Kona?
Kona 64kw EV 🚙
ElectraGlidein Blue

3FD61F3B-A77E-4AD7-865C-AE13F1289762.jpeg

Collected today, first time I have owned an automatic. The acceleration is amazng, you need to treat the go faster pedal with respect both to avoid loosing traction and also to conserve energy in the battery.

So quiet. The users manual is the thickness of War & Peace. It will take a few evenings to understand it all. It is a good job that a lot of the layout of switches is similar to my old IX35.
Kona 64kw EV 🚙
ElectraGlidein Blue

So far so good. Have done 500 miles and at present showing a profit on charging costs! If you shop at Ikea and present the bill from the recharging station you get £6 off your shopping. Spent £3 on recharging with two visits to IKEA and got £12 off! Used the park and ride into Leicester. Paid £1.50 bus fare and got £3 worth of free electrify.

The ‘proper’ home charger (7.2kw) is on order so I am using the granny cable at home and charging at 2.4kw. Only 5% VAT and no fuel duty, indeed no road tax either. I have also had some free charging on sunny days via the solar PV on the roof.

Yesterday I made a 150 mile round trip and still had 130 miles of range when I got home. I had to charge over night (economy seven) via the granny cable. The range is now back up to 230 miles at a cost of about £1.50! At this rate all the savings will pay a big chunk of the monthly outlay on the car.
Cost of diesel for 500 miles would be about £60. Cost of charging so far is profit of £7.50

Love the adaptive cruise control which works brilliantly with the seamless gear free electric transmission. Still getting to grips with all the other settings
Kona 64kw EV 🚙
ibradburn

Post by ibradburn »

Ah solar panels in roof.
That explains why you cant have a sunroof like I have in mine
which I like.
ElectraGlidein Blue

Sorry I did not make it clear, my solar panels are on the house roof. You can get a version of the Prius which has a solar panel on the roof.

I would have quite liked a sunroof option.
Kona 64kw EV 🚙
ibradburn

Post by ibradburn »

wonder why they don't do sunroof in electric kona then?
love my sunroof in my premium se , but the other weird thing is
you cant have the two tone paint if u have the sunroof.
ElectraGlidein Blue

I have had a sun roof in my cars for 30 years so missing it. Perhaps it was the extra weight?
Kona 64kw EV 🚙
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Could someone with a Kona EV tell me how long their charging cable is please?
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
mikeiow

Post by mikeiow »

ElectraGlidein Blue wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:05 pm So far so good. Have done 500 miles and at present showing a profit on charging costs!
<snip>
Love the adaptive cruise control which works brilliantly with the seamless gear free electric transmission. Still getting to grips with all the other settings
Sounds great!
We are considering this (& I have just signed up to this forum), but obviously only have reviews to go on....& I see a 42 week wait now :roll:
Is there a phone app to track charging when plugged in, and perhaps trigger pre-heating?
Also: the "Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)" - the noise to warn pedestrians an otherwise silent car is bearing down on them - is it fair to say you do NOT hear that inside the car!?
It looks like the engine (motor) fills the entire space up front - really no luggage space there? Most EVs have some luggage space, I thought!
I see you mention Leicester: we are in Glenfield, be curious to see it in the flesh if you felt able!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post