Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
Zoetaylor69

Post by Zoetaylor69 »

Hello

I have got exactly the same noise as you describe. It rattles on start up but not all the time. It doesn’t always follow a pattern either. Sometimes on a cold start up it won’t do it and then I will stop at the ship get back in and start it up and the rattle is there. Taken it into the dealer and had it looked at they have said “it’s normal engine noise especially for a 3 cylinder engine, the Kona always sounds like a tank on start up” I’m now at a loss as to what to do. My mechanic has said the rattle is definitely not normal. The engine starting up is loud but relatively normal but the added rattle before definitely isn’t. I’m really regretting buying this car as it’s causing me nothing but problems.

Have you had any luck in finding out what the noise is?
Hope you have had some answers.

Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

My Kona is now in with Bristol Street after a response from the branch manager. They have supplied an i30 fastback with the same engine as a loan vehicle and like others had said this 1.0 litre engine has a whole assortment of starting and low rpm noise as well. Also the bl**dy tyre pressures were set too high again. I don't know what it is with this garage but they are seriously unable to check tyre pressures and seemingly don't understand the implications of over inflated tyres, Dropping the car in this Saturday I had to explain the cold start issue over and over to the service department and firmly believe there is (in general) a lack of skill in understanding engines without plugging them into some computer and it telling them what is wrong. I think my days of buying new cars is over. Due to the poor technical support offered by franchise dealers. My next step will be to find a direct name within Hyundai and start discussions with them. I'll update when I get some info back.
Deleted User 251

I now have the car back after a week in the garage. They don't really know what's wrong but after conversations with Hyundai technical they are going to change the cam belt cover.
Of course there are no parts in the UK for this vehicle so the car has to go back in when the parts arrive.
We will wait and see.
While at the garage the car travelled zero miles so they obviously took the issue of the hot start noise seriously!
Oh well wait another few weeks for the part to arrive and then a few weeks as they will not have a loan car available and then by then it will be Christmas then January and I will start looking to replace it.
mutley

Post by mutley »

https://www.hkona.com/hyundai_kona_os_2 ... l-554.html
Hi, just starting to experience the same problem with my Kona with 5000 miles on the clock, haven’t been into the dealer yet but i’ve found the trouble shooting service manual at the above address which says engine noise for a few seconds on start up with possible causes of wrong oil viscosity or cam shaft thrust. Check it out see what you think. Mine was only noisy on cold start but i’ve noticed it also when it’s still got a warm engine but left cool for an hour or so. I will be booking it into my dealer to see what they have to say, looks like this fault may be coming common to this engine!!! :shock:
Zoetaylor69

Post by Zoetaylor69 »

Hi
Still having the same problems with mine. They took it back in for the last 2 days. 1st to repair scratches they had made when washing my vehicle and second to explore the noise.
They finally agreed the engine sound wasn’t normal (possibly due to the 14 different videos I sent them of the noise) they changed the aux belt but said this made no difference at all and the fault was still there.
Said they raised a technical request and will take it from there. From this I phoned the main service department for Hyundai as I’m absolutely disgusted with the service department. They agreed that the car shouldn’t have been given back without knowing what the fault could be, they sent the AA to check the car was actually safe to drive. They told me that no technical request had actually been put in. They are going to take my car back in and further investigate and provide me with a car until mine is fixed. I will wait and see on this as I’ve pretty much lost all faith in them.
Its terrible that they can get away with selling cars that really aren’t fit for purpose. I’ve just got to 3000 miles and my car sounds like it’s at the end of its life. It has now developed a burning smell at times but again I’ve been told this is ‘normal’ for new cars.

Hopefully they get your part needed soon and it does the trick.

I wish mechanics were actually mechanics and not just trained on following what a computer says. I think this is the problem they now lack the skills needed to be an actual mechanic.
CactusBraph

Post by CactusBraph »

Hello, I too have the exact same issue, mine is a pre registered 2018 1.0 Premium SE. When starting I have noticed a very strange rattle and almost like the engine isn't firing right, the rattle soon disappears once I rev the engine for the first time. What I have noticed though is it only happens when i push the start button very fast, if I hold the button in for say three seconds when starting it is totally fine.

The car hasn't even done 500 miles yet.....

You will have to excuse how I explain myself as I have no technical or mechanical background when it comes to cars.
mutley

Post by mutley »

Hi This problem definitely seems to be common. I’m not sure when the noise started on mine it could of been from new. A couple of weeks ago I started the engine with the driver door open which i’ve never done before and heard it, now i hear it more or less every time I start up .
To me it sounds as if it’s coming from the top end camshaft or timing chain area , might be wrong. Although it doesn’t sound normal to me but with quite a few doing it, is it normal ? As the noise only lasts a few seconds I would imagine it’s difficult to diagnose. So how far do the Hyundai dealer go, engine strip down or do they say let it develop? I’ve still yet to get mine into the dealer, as Zoetaylor69 done i’m making some videos of it which i’ve started to do great idea. I’ve been doing a bit of reading up about the direct petrol injection engines it seems all manufacturers including Ford , VW etc are having problems with inlet values coking up on relatively low mileage cars 15,000. Now that’s concerning too Do a search on it . Other than this it’s a nice car drives really well but not sure if it’ll stand the test of time .
Zoetaylor69

Post by Zoetaylor69 »

Hi
Quick Update
Hyundai have had my car back in and I am currently in a hire car until they find the problem. The AA think it’s around the camshaft, timing belt possibly alternator so I believe this is what Hyundai is exploring. Hopefully they will find the problem and sort a fix out.
Like Mutley said I believe this is also happening on more cars, I know of VW Golf who needed a brand new camshaft due to a very similar noise.
It’s amazing what a few videos and a call to head office can do. I can not fault Hyundai head office they are amazing and get things moving. It’s just a shame that it has to come that.
Deleted User 251

Finally got to the bottom of what the noise is and its a fault with the cam chain cover and now on the Hyundai radar for vehicles within a certain time. Not sure which and what vehicles are affected.
The issues lies with too little spare room around the cam chain prior to the oil pressure reaching a certain pressure and getting the tensioner to take up the slack. The cam chain is coming into contact with the cover and has a design chain to give it more room.
So Hyundai have said the cam chain needs changing and one of the gears and the cover.
Believe it or not the car went back to Bristol Street in Exeter and the stupid staff forgot to call and let me know the parts had not arrived or had even been ordered. So yes the car has to go back AGAIN. And we will find out if this solves the issue
So all you 1.0 L engine people take a good listen to your vehicle on start up and if you have the slightest inkling of a rattle get back to the dealer before the cam chain eats its way through the cover.

Cheers
Schnauzerlady

Post by Schnauzerlady »

My 68 plate premium has been in to the dealer also for same issue. I've had a new timing chain and cover ...it seems still boist to me but I need to hear other side by side to tell the difference. It's not as bad but I've got so used to it its difficult to tell. I love the car but this does worry me. Garage have been good and I didn't go back to the original dealer as I bought away from home. I've done just over 5k. When I took it in they told me I could not drive it and hot me a hire car for three weeks while it was sorted