Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

Well Bart that is good news and hope every goes to plan tomorrow morning when you start it.
It certainly has been long winded but hope every turns out in your favour and you'll still be in a Hyundai.
Good Luck!!!

the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker »

Good luck! Hope the Kona will make no more problems in the future.
I will use this post to update the status of my 1.0 Ceed. Everything works fine untill now. Milage little less than 10.000.
Best regards!
Sinflobod

Post by Sinflobod »

I had same issue on my 68 plate kona. I used this thread to help my discussions with hyundai in Chelmsford.
I also noticed a mid pitch "shhh" during driving.
Garage checked it out and arranged warranty fix which was replacement chain and tensioner.
I now have my car back to how I expect, no rattle and a running engine how I remember it when bought. Full marks to Chelmsford for their customer service and the repair.
davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

Hello Sinflobod from another Essexite (Colchester).
Just a matter of interest how many miles has yours done?
Did they replace the cover as well as the chain and tensioner?
I am keeping my fingers crossed as mine is only 6mths old and done about 3000mls and no problems at present but concerned what's going to happen later.
I am so pleased with the car and such a pleasure to drive.
Still awaiting for Bart to report on his change of car and hopefully all sorted - thou it appeared Bristol Street were mucking him about. Good news on your Chelmsford branch.
the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker »

Hi there,
I've noticed today that the engine consumed 1/5 Liter of oil, wit a millage of 2.500 (about 6000 km).
Now that doesn't sound much oil at all, but considering that my previous KIAs or Hyundai's didn't consume any oil at all and the fact that I have this chain or whatever sound on startup makes me a little bit worried.
But maybe it's normal at all, because the engine is new and needs some oil the first few thousand kilometers.
Do you have any oil consumption?

P.S. I've driven the car a little faster than usually on the German Autobahn for a distance of 100 km - at a speed of 160 km/h. Don't know if this could be one of the reasons.

Update: I've added a photo in the attachment, so you can see how much oil is actually missing.

IMG_20191122_085505.jpg

davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

Moonwalker I have only done 3000mls since new and have only done a few long trips up to Scotland & Yorkshire and have not used any oil at all.
So really I can't help much.
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

On the oil issue. I never noticed any oil consumption issues. But it was changed at 5000 miles when the modification was done.

On my replacement Kona. Still not got it!!!
Dealer dragging their heels again!
Driving a BMW 1 series at the moment.
I'm not pushing the dealer any more just waiting for them to finally give us the thumbs up they are ready to deliver.

I will be emailing Hyundai UK on Monday to let them know the dealer is not driving this forward at all.

Cheers
davrob36

Post by davrob36 »

Bart I thought you had already got your replacement - as in a previous message you were going to try it from cold after standing for the weekend.
But sounds like that did not work out.
I bet your finding the difference with a "old" BMW - so uncomfortable things plus seating is so low.
Certainly your dealer is dragging there heals.
Await for next chapter.
Deleted User 251

davrob36 We had the car for two days and then the dealer took it back.
Our towbar needed swopping over and the PCP finance had to be sorted out.
So still waiting
Sent another email to Hyundai UK, complaining. Again.
Deleted User 251

Still no car!

This is the response I got from Hyundai Uk after I told them we are still waiting on the dealer
Hold your breath.

I will speak to the dealership today with the next steps I have already agreed......however this will still have to be signed off by Hyundai.

Doesn't look like this is anywhere near to being sorted.

Cheers