Possible buyer

New to the Hyundai Kona Forums? Introduce yourself here
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

Hi
I am looking at replacing my nearly 18 year old Toyota Corolla 1.6vvti with a Kona 1.0 manual Premium SE, off for a test drive on Thursday. I know that 1.0l are now a different league to the old 1.0l but how do people find it? I live in the countryside so the higher driving position is why I would be buying the car and generally I do the school run into the local town and back on the motorway one junction. I'm not looking for huge boot space just the weekly shop, odd garden centre trip and generally it is me and 6ft2 son in the car so only occasional rear seat passengers who would be older, smaller ladies. We have a larger SUV for holidays and day trips. I would use the car on longer motorway journeys and reading the 0-60 as 12 seconds makes me wonder how people find it, do you have to drop down to 4th to accelerate?

Have never owned a Hyundai but thinking the 5 year warranty makes it worth a try, I have looked at pre registered with low mileage too, as I have a cherished plate the reg doesn't make any difference and it seems I can save several thousand pounds. I have read mixed reviews, I considered the Stonic, Arona and Q2, husband did not like Arona felt it was plasticy, I prefer the styling of the Kona over the Stonic and the height in that was lower, the Q2 seats were so comfortable but for a similar spec but still missing out on lots of extras you're talking £4k more nearly the price of husband's large SUV, I can't really justify that as a second car and would have had to go for a second hand older vehicle.

Thanks for reading

Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Hi, I can only tell you of our experience. My partner had owned her 1.2cc sports Vauxhall Corsa for 12 years and we wanted a newer car. My friend was driving a brand new Kona and I was well impressed with it. So impressed we bought a 6 month old Kona SE with under 1,800 miles on the clock from a Nisan garage in Birmingham saving £4,000 on a new one. I find it handles well and the acceleration is good after 2,000 rpm. The engine power is unbelievable considering it is under 1,000cc. My Morris Minor has a 1,098cc engine, but it is of a different era. 2,000rpm plus in 6th or 5th gear and your motoring. On our ride back from Birmingham to France we sailed along the motorway.
We regularly get 45 miles per gallon (it must be said that we live in France where the roads are not as congested as in the UK). With 6 gears to play with you will not feel underpowered. The safety features are excellent especially the Lane Assist. The only change I have made to the car in the first year of ownership is to raise the front passenger seat by one inch.
I am sure that when you take your test drive you will be impresses as well.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
I don't know were I am but,
I'm having a lovely time.
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

Hi Kenny
Thank you for replying I've found it really useful, I'm not looking for a hot hatch, bit old for that now and I'm aware that it won't corner like one (shame the YouTube reviewers don't get that) for us using the M20 on a daily basis and trying to pull on to the motorway when either a Eurotunnel freight train or a ferry has off loaded lots of lorries mean that you need some acceleration to make sure you're not rear ended. I'm looking forward to the test drive. I was looking at the SE initially but wanted blind spot assist hence the Premium SE, not so bothered about the heated steering wheel etc, coming up to new reg plate means there are quite a few nearly new ones on the market.
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Yes, we are not street racers either, but this car dose have some kick compared to our old car. Enjoy your test drive, give it some welly and let us know how you get on.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

Well an update, test drove a Kona on Thursday in the pouring rain, salesman certainly through it round roundabouts a bit quicker than I would, it drove very easily and so we continued with a test drive we'd booked for Saturday with a nearly new one. i've put down a deposit and should pick it up next week depending on transfer of my DVLA plate.
Kona Kenny

Post by Kona Kenny »

Fantastic. I am sure you will love your new car. What colour have you chosen. Ours is blue. My partner calls her Bluebell.
KENNY. 2018 1.0 Kona SE
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

I managed to get a red one, I was thinking of the blue too, but I liked the red accents you get around the vents etc I think that would have looked great in a blue but they didn't do it, plus I managed to get one registered end of June last year so a 19 plate but only 131 miles on it, my test drive added another 7 and a huge discount off a brand new price. I was looking at a new one with claiming the scrappage deal which is currently £2500 but this was better value. Got to wait for my plate to go on retention before I can trade in my current car so hopefully pick up on Saturday, fingers crossed.