Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Kona
davrob36

Re: Cold Start Engine 'rattle' (1.0)

Post by davrob36 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Well Bart that is good news and hope every goes to plan tomorrow morning when you start it.
It certainly has been long winded but hope every turns out in your favour and you'll still be in a Hyundai.
Good Luck!!!

the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 am

Good luck! Hope the Kona will make no more problems in the future.
I will use this post to update the status of my 1.0 Ceed. Everything works fine untill now. Milage little less than 10.000.
Best regards!

Sinflobod

Post by Sinflobod » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:12 pm

I had same issue on my 68 plate kona. I used this thread to help my discussions with hyundai in Chelmsford.
I also noticed a mid pitch "shhh" during driving.
Garage checked it out and arranged warranty fix which was replacement chain and tensioner.
I now have my car back to how I expect, no rattle and a running engine how I remember it when bought. Full marks to Chelmsford for their customer service and the repair.

davrob36

Post by davrob36 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello Sinflobod from another Essexite (Colchester).
Just a matter of interest how many miles has yours done?
Did they replace the cover as well as the chain and tensioner?
I am keeping my fingers crossed as mine is only 6mths old and done about 3000mls and no problems at present but concerned what's going to happen later.
I am so pleased with the car and such a pleasure to drive.
Still awaiting for Bart to report on his change of car and hopefully all sorted - thou it appeared Bristol Street were mucking him about. Good news on your Chelmsford branch.

the_moonwalker

Post by the_moonwalker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi there,
I've noticed today that the engine consumed 1/5 Liter of oil, wit a millage of 2.500 (about 6000 km).
Now that doesn't sound much oil at all, but considering that my previous KIAs or Hyundai's didn't consume any oil at all and the fact that I have this chain or whatever sound on startup makes me a little bit worried.
But maybe it's normal at all, because the engine is new and needs some oil the first few thousand kilometers.
Do you have any oil consumption?

P.S. I've driven the car a little faster than usually on the German Autobahn for a distance of 100 km - at a speed of 160 km/h. Don't know if this could be one of the reasons.

Update: I've added a photo in the attachment, so you can see how much oil is actually missing.

IMG_20191122_085505.jpg

davrob36

Post by davrob36 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Moonwalker I have only done 3000mls since new and have only done a few long trips up to Scotland & Yorkshire and have not used any oil at all.
So really I can't help much.

Return to “Faults & Technical”