2021 Kona EV VESS ?

Main Hyundai Kona Electric chat
Jeff138

Post by Jeff138 »

Hi all. I just bought a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate 64KW in blue, and I'm trying to find out about VESS. It doesn't seem to have it. Having read the Hyundai UK blurb saying all spec models have it I was expecting it. I test drove a 2022 model a few weeks ago and that didn't make the VESS harmonic thrum either, though I forgot to ask the dealer why it didn't. Other owner forums worldwide seem to hate the VESS noise and talk about how to disable it, though there was mention of a switch to turn it on and off. I suspect that was on an older model. I'm in the countryside with lots of horses being ridden along the lanes and to have the option of switching it on would be useful, though I may grow to hate it. Is it there and disabled or what have I missed ?

Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Mine is a petrol so obviously doesn't have it, but I've just Googled it and found this image, so I'm guessing yours doesn't have the switch shown on there ?? (Think this is a LHD model and RHD models are a mirror image ??)

hyundai vess switch.jpg

Jeff138

Post by Jeff138 »

Thanks, no the switches are different. I guess Hyundai UK decided not to include VESS but didn't change the sales blurb. I don't think I've heard one drive past either. I test drove an Ioniq 5 and that didn't have it but the Kia EV6 i tried did have an engine sound, audible at least when in the car - it sounded like something from a sci-fi movie, and you could switch it off.
Phil3747

Post by Phil3747 »

Ok...no worries.
From the bit I found about VESS, it says that it is only active to about 20mph anyway ??
DandDKona

Post by DandDKona »

I think an external sound is a standard feature that can't be turned off. It isn't loud, but ours (a mid 2021 model) clearly makes an electrical humming noise until around 20mph. It isn't loud enough to alert cyclists or talking pedestrians.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post