Sat Nav?

All Hyundai Kona related discussions
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Guys I currently own a 2022 plate Tucson Ultimate. The on board Sat Nav system I find to be poor with respect to routing. I know it uses TomTom maps with Hyundai's routing algorithm on top. It also has no dash cluster information apart from a rather poor single arrow.

As I'm considering moving to a new Kona N-Line S I'm wondering:

• Has the routing system improved at all? How accurate do you find it?
  • Page 29 of the brochure seems to show proper directions in the cluster (see attached image). Is this correct or is it poetic licence in the brochure?
Any photos of the cluster displays would be appreciated.

Page 29 of brochure.jpg

TIA

MarkLBN

Post by MarkLBN »

I picked up my 1.6 tgdi N Line S a week ago. Just back from a trip to Holland and the satnav worked like a dream - the first car I've had that I can really say that about (had Kia and JLR before but not Hyundai). It does have the cluster display as in your picture as you get close to the relevant turn point. After turning it shows the next 2 turn directions with distance to go to each, and overall distance to destination. Not easy to take a pic of while driving but I'll see what I can do.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Brilliant, sounds good all round then. Looking forward to any photos you can (safely) take.
AEB-UK

Post by AEB-UK »

Have a passenger take the photo.
Saves on a fine and three points (or is it 6 points now?).
2019 Kona EV Premium SE in Ceramic Blue :D
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Unless I’m going completely mad (possible) or my phone is playing silly buggers…….. I can’t see any attached photo?
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Morning all,

My wife just bought a 9 month old (2023) Kona Ultimate Hybrid with less that 3K on the clock and while inputting an address for her yesterday, the screen advised that this satnav required an update...
Surely not on a relatively new car? ( N.B. We are a pair off oldies, so not too hot on digital stuff..)
OK so it may require a SatNav update but from what I read you have to run the cars for a long period whilst this is going on via USB and we no longer venture off on long trips, so is there an easy way - over the air, or other apart from taking it in to the dealers?

Your advice is welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Tamtoot
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Latest update was November 2023 and prossibly a new one coming May 2024. You dont need long trips to do it OTA as it will do incrementaly over a period of time.....likely to take ages and will stop if when you're using the sat nav. Easiest and surest way is to download to a USB and do it at home while the car is not being driven - again expext an hour or so. Take it to the dealer they'll probably want it all day. Did you have a look at this thread? viewtopic.php?p=1707#p1707
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Many thanks Jeffers,

Will do via USB at home and advise.

Best
Tamtoot
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Jeffers,

Apologies if this is a Dumb question.
Am I to presume I have to have the engine running while inputting the satnav update via the USB stick, or do I just switch on the car ignition then plug the USB stick in the port and leave for a couple of hours?

Many thanks
Tamtoot
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Not dumb at all. The instructions are never clear from Hyundai!! All I can tell you is that I've updated by USB a couple of times and no problems. Presuming you get the correct model download on your USB needs to be 32GB+ as I remember and takes a while as it seems to download to your computer then copies to the USB. All I did then was plug in USB to the car usb port (the one on the right of the 2 ) no engine running and I dont think the ignition was on, it just asks you "update now" or similar. Tap Yes - and leave it. You get periodic messages but they flash by and easily missed. You think nothing's happening but after quite a while it finishes. I left mine and went and had a sandwich checking every 10 mins or so with no real indication anything was happening then when I last looked after 50 - 60 mins it was done. Hope this helps and good luck.